1. Tossing oil into the trash is the same thing as pouring it on the ground. It will be dumped in a landfill, where it will eventually seep into the ground and contaminate drinking water.
2. Pouring oil into a sewer is the same thing as pouring it directly into a stream or river. One pint of oil can create a poisonous oil slick about an acre in diameter.
3. When oil is poured onto the ground, it can contaminate drinking water supplies. A single quart can pollute 250,000 gallons of drinking water.
4. Experts estimate that 40% of pollution in America's waterways is from used oil. About 21.1 million tons of the stuff finds its ways into our waterways every year.
5. Burning your oil is a much better
alternative. Several legal oil-burning furnaces are available.
|Two gallons of used oil can provide electricity to run the average household for approximately 24 hours or... cook 48 meals in a microwave ... blow-dry your hair 216 times ... vacuum your house for 15 months ... or keep your TV on for 180 hours.|
Go back to Group