- Pick out what you want to cook & bring to the party.
Status Divisions at Mealtime in the Roman House."
- This article has an diagram of how people reclined to
eat. From Romarch:
Roman Art and Architecture
Roman Dishes - Collection Here's another
- Recipes you can use.
Clothing & Adornment
- This index page collects the articles in Smith's
Dictionary on clothing, shoes, cosmetics, hairstyles etc. From LacusCurtius:
Into the Roman World.
Herbs In Roman Cooking, According to Apicius
- Modern names & substitutes for ancient herbs.
- This is my recipe for Cuminatum, by Phil Zaret.
to Host a Roman Orgy
- From the Shakespeare Eclectic Science Fiction Interactive
a lot more to throwing a good old-fashioned Roman revel than just
yourself in bedsheets and getting wild. The ancients took their fun
dinnertime debauchery was an art refined over the course of centuries,
from the relatively austere decadence of Tiberius in the first century
A.D. (naked waitresses) to the boundlessly inventive frolics of certain
third-century emperors (don't even ask)."
RERUM CLASSICARUM: COOKING, FOOD & DINING
- Links to sites on Roman cooking.
- Who says Latin is a dead language? Liven up those cold
some of these Latin Christmas Carols! Pax tecum sit!
XX: The Imperial Roman Twentieth Lengion: Bringing Ancient Rome To Life
- "The Twentieth Legion was founded in 1991 to recreate the
Roman Army for public demonstrations and living history displays.
Our weapons, armor, and accoutrements are all carefully researched, and
reconstructed at our own expense." This site has detailed
on making Roman costumes.
- This site mainly focuses on reproductions of weaponry,
but it also
ancient clothing. Really cool swords, "Museum Replicas Limited is
a wholly owned subsidiary of Atlanta Cutlery Corp., a mail order
company started in 1971 to sell hunting and other hard to find knives
knife making supplies from all over the world. Today we offer an
line of products which includes period clothing, jewelry, sculptures
well researched battle worthy edged weapons that you would have been
to carry in any battle if you could go back in time. Apart from being
weapons, these relics of history are excellent conversation pieces that
could adorn your den or mantle."
from Merlynia's Closet
- "For the last two years, Fiona and I have been cooking
and dinner for three legions down in Maryland at "Roman Days." 18-20 at
a time, with a Dutch oven, a large frying pan, and a two-burner Coleman
stove. Very little to wash, and very little 'perishables'."
make servings for 20.
From the Cavpona
- Various recipes.
Hamper's Rome Resource Page
- Cosmetics and Perfumes, Epithets and Other Interjections
-- how did the
Romans cuss and swear?, Food, Drink, and Meals, Hair and Beards,
Naming Conventions (during the Late Republic), Place Names -- a list of
Roman towns in Italy and their modern counterparts, Roman Government
(during the Late Republic), Roman Trivia, Sanitation, Shops, Some Roman
Weights and Measures
- What Romans ate, how they preserved food, cooked
it and ate
it. The Ancient
Roman Recipes section gives recipes for various foods from Apicius.
Dinnerware Word List
- Terminology the Romans used for cooking &
eating. From About
Latin Language by Janet
Food and Drink
- What follows is mostly a tabular synopsis of what kinds
fruit, and drink the Romans of the Late Roman Republic were accustomed
to as well as a couple of short tables showing how everyday meals and
dinner parties were different from one another. From
Hamper's Rome Resource Page
Roman Orgy Page
- "Everything you ever wanted to know about the art of
Romans in Britain
- "The history of the Romans in Britain - 100 B.C. to 450
A.D. Along with
insights into Roman life, the military and how the Romans changed
Of special interest is Roman
recipes of the upper classes.
- Gernot Katzer's Spice Pages. He has descriptions of
a variety of
spices, many used since ancient times.