ENGL 303: Technical
0-3-3. Preq., ENGL 102.
Development of technical writing skills and styles; various
technical writing assignments, including a technical report.
- To acquaint
students with a variety of forms of writing in science
- develop research
- discuss and apply
writing and formatting techniques;
- review grammar and
- Basic writing skills; knowledge of sentence structure,
grammar, and organization. (English 101 & 102).
- Basic knowledge of a scientific or technical field.
Nature and Purpose
The purpose of English 303 is to teach technical
writing skills to a diverse group of students. This course
requires a different set of criteria from that used in
English composition courses, both in teaching and in the
evaluation of the students' work. This course emphasizes
writing that is focused on scientific and technical
topics, that is clear and concise, and that is geared
toward a targeted audience by the appropriate choice of
format and technical writing style.
- Class attendance is regarded as an obligation as well as
a privilege, and all students are expected to attend
regularly and punctually all classes in which they are
enrolled. Attendance is worth 10% of your total grade.
- I shall keep a permanent attendance record for this
class. This record is subject to inspection by appropriate
college or university officials.
- Regular attendance will help you understand your
assignments and complete them on schedule. I encourage you
to attend unless you absolutely cannot avoid being absent.
the Internet sections,
I will grade your participation in class discussions
throughout the quarter.
Topics to be Covered
- Discussion of types of technical writing, audience
analysis, and persuasion.
- Discussion of definition writing and analysis of
- Discussion of description of mechanisms and processes.
- Discussion of library resources, research techniques,
and proposal writing.
- Discussion of collecting notes, writing outlines, and
writing rough drafts.
- Discussion of the elements of the formal research
- Discussion of graphic aids in technical reports.
- Discussion of grammar, technical writing style, and
- Discussion of the job application procedure, including
application letters and resumes.
- Discussion of plagiarism and professional ethics.
- Each 303 section must teach the job application
letter and resume that
accompanies the letter. Most teachers find that the instruction
or process paper and a technical description
paper help develop basic technical writing skills.
- The long research report is a
necessary ingredient for each 303 class; it develops
research, analytical, and writing skills that the
students' major fields expect us to help develop in their
students. These assignments for this paper, including the
proposal for the report, the outline of the report, and
the 2000 word report itself, are not optional and must be
done, individually, by each student in each section of
Guidelines for a paper's form
- OUT-OF-CLASS papers MUST be typed. Handwritten
papers will be returned ungraded. I encourage you to learn
to use a computerized word-processing program. It can save
time, aid proofreading, and improve the appearance of an
essay. This requires foresight since the computer lab
closes at 4:30 and on weekends.
- In-class papers MUST be written in ink.
- Use one side of the
- Use standard 8 1/2" by
11" white paper. Loose leaf or typewriter paper please--no
frazzled edges ripped from notebooks.
- Use margins of at least
an inch on each side of the paper. Leave a 1.5" margin on
the right-hand side.
- Papers (except for the
long report) should be folded vertically with the
following information on the outside cover: name, section,
theme assignment, instructor's name, and date.
A PAPER COPY OF THE FINAL DRAFT IN YOUR OWN FILES.
It's the cheapest
insurance you can buy.
- Conferences are encouraged during the quarter. They will
be used to discuss specific writing strengths and/or
English 303 is a demanding course. Be
sure to arrange you schedule so you can spend adequate
time for class preparation, researching, and writing.